The Canadian Organic Growers (COG) will be hosting a series of webinars beginning on the 16th of October, 2015 entitled “Changes to the Canadian Organic Standards – an Essential Update”.
“The Canadian Organic Standards have been revised and updated and the new standards are being launched November 9, 2015. To ensure operators, producers, processors, certifying bodies, and verification officers are up to date on the revisions, COG is pleased to offer informative webinars – Changes to the Canadian Organic Standards – an Essential Update.
The webinars are recommended for operators whose products are currently certified to the Canadian Organic Standard, independent organic inspectors, and the personnel of certification bodies and conformity verification bodies who require a knowledge of the Canadian Organic Standard to carry out their work. The cost of each webinar is $25 (tax included).”
Webinar dates and times:
- Friday, October 16 5:00PM EST – Crop Production presented by Maureen Bostock REGISTER HERE
- Friday, October 23 3:00PM EST – Livestock Production presented by Anne Macey REGISTER HERE
- Friday, October 30 3:00PM EST – Preparation including Processing presented by Rochelle Eisen REGISTER HERE
- Friday, November 6 3:00PM EST – Crop Production presented by Maureen Bostock REGISTER HERE
- Friday, November 13 11:00AM EST – Livestock Production presented by Anne Macey (registration available October 13)
- Friday, November 20 11:00AM EST – Preparation Including Processing presented by Rochelle Eisen (registration available October 20)
Part One: Crop Production
The first webinar in the series will examine the changes to the crop production components of the two standards. We will also discuss changes to specialty crops: maple, greenhouse, sprouts, mushrooms and wild-crafting where applicable. Changes to Tables 4.2 & 4.3 of the Permitted Substances List will be reviewed. The webinar is primarily directed towards crop producers but would also be of interest to people involved in any level of the organic regulatory system.
Part Two: Livestock Production
The second webinar in the series will focus on the changes to the livestock production standards including changes to the Permitted Substances Lists for livestock feed and health care products. The standards for beekeeping and honey production will also be reviewed. The webinar will be of interest to livestock producers and people involved at any level of the organic regulatory system.
Part Three: Preparation Including Processing
The third webinar in the series will examine the changes to the preparation components of the two standards. Preparation includes, with respect to an organic product, the maintenance of organic integrity during post-harvest handling, manufacturing, processing, treatment, preservation, and slaughter. Changes to Sections 6 and 7 of the Permitted Substances Lists will be reviewed. The webinar is primarily directed towards anyone handling organic products as well as processors, but would also be of interest to people involved in any level of the organic regulatory system.